Monday, February 6, 2012

My funny goats

Due to the new bucklings, I'm spending more quality time with the goats. This morning, I just sat near their nesting area and let them hop, crawl, and climb on me. From where I was sitting, I could watch the rest of the goats eating breakfast.

Snowbelle, who REFUSED a gingersnap on the milk stand (where she goes for her drench and skin treatments), snatched up the one I'd hidden in the feed and ate it *quickly* so no other goat could get it. Competition is a funny thing. She's also acting like she's wanting to move up in the pecking order. She's head banging a LOT.

Orange is back on the top of the pecking order. She'd given it up for months, and Lemon was rising. Not any more.

It's funny to watch the big goats' reactions to the bucklings. Lily and Aster look at them like they are small alien creatures. They get all bug eyed and have their ears on alert when they watch them intently. Orange just does the head threat maneuver whenever they get close. Cassie and Abbey ignore them. Snowbelle hammered Hi-Ho Silver, but he started it. He did the head threat gesture toward her. This is a mistake when you weigh about five pounds.

I have been putting a couple of tablespoons of the horse supplement in Snowbelle's stand feed. It's got rice bran and vitamins and other yummy stuff in it. Smells GOOD.

I didn't put it in this morning, and I was milking Cassie while Snowbelle ate. She TOLD me that I left it out. The container is near the headgate on her milkstand, and she kept POINTING to it with her nose. She even stomped her front feet. Her body language clearly states, "YO! WOMAN! YOU LEFT OUT THE GOOD STUFF!!"

When I got her a little scoop of it, she calmed down.

Who's in charge? Not me.

No comments: